Winter in Utah is magical.
There’s a reason we’re known for having the most amazing snow on the planet!
There’s no sense in being cooped up inside your place all winter.
There are plenty of fun things to do that will get you out and exploring the great state of Utah while it’s under a blanket of snow.
Ice Skating Rinks In Utah
Speaking of winter activities, why not go ice skating? After all, the fun of gliding across the ice is only matched by the delicious hot chocolate you can enjoy afterwards. Here are some of Utah’s best ice skating rinks:
1. The Gallivan Center in SLC is a tradition for many Utahns.
2. Check out the Utah Olympic Oval in Kearns for some fun, indoor ice skating.
3. Another Salt Lake County managed facility is the Salt Lake City Sports Complex.
4. The Salt Lake County Ice Center also includes public skating.
5. The Acord Ice Center in West Valley City is a good place for those who live on the west side of the valley.
Where To Get The Best Hot Chocolate In Utah
Nothing like a good cup of hot cocoa to warm you up this winter! Here’s a list of the best places in Salt Lake to get hot chocolate:
6. Everyone knows about the coffee at Jack Mormon Coffee Co. , but they also make a delicious cup of hot chocolate.
7. The hot chocolate at Salt Lake Roasting Company downtown is pretty great, and tastes awesome with a sweet treat!
8. You should taste the hot chocolate at Les Madeleines.
9. The White Chocolate Mocha from Mojo Fly Thru in SLC is worth it.
10. Take some of the hot chocolate mix from Hatch Family Chocolates home with you, and enjoy it after a long day of playing in the snow.
11. Taste the delicious hot chocolate from Cherry’s Hot Chocolate at the Winter Market at Rio Grande Depot.
12. Spicy hot chocolate from Caputos? Sign me up!
Snowshoeing In Utah & Cross Country Skiing Trails
Not only can you ski and snowboard at one of Utah’s famed ski resorts, but there are plenty of ways to enjoy Utah’s winter trails on cross country skis or snowshoes:
13. Soldier Hollow has cross country skiing trails, which is the perfect weekend activity.
14. The Nordic Center at Solitude has opportunities for Nordic skiing and snowshoeing in a pristine setting.
15. Experience the snow shoe trails at the Sundance Nordic Center, or try the groomed cross country trails for a great workout.
16. There are nearly 20 km of groomed, cross country trails at White Pine Touring in Park City.
17. If you’re the adventurous type (and have the proper backcountry safety and avalanche equipment), check out the many trails in Big and Little Cottonwood Canyons, including Cecret Lake.
Utah Museums & Art Galleries
Would you rather escape the chilly winter air and go indoors? Here are some museums and art galleries to browse:
18. The Utah Museum of Fine Arts at the University of Utah has over 19,000 items, and is open year-round.
19. Pioneer Memorial Museum is the place to find out more about Utah’s pioneering history.
20. Spark up your creativity and imagination at The Leonardo at Library Square.
21. See the dinosaurs at the Natural History Museum of Utah.
22. The Utah Museum of Contemporary Art features pieces from artists all over the world, as well as collections from local artists.
Fun Winter Activities In Southern Utah
We’re lucky that warmer temperatures are just a short drive away in sunny Southern Utah!
23. Check out the Tuacahn Center for the Arts.
24. The St. George Musical Theater is a community theater that features some great shows this winter.
25. The kids will love seeing the restored aircraft at the Western Sky Aviation Warbird Museum.
Winter Hiking & Camping In Utah
Visiting one of Utah’s State Parks doesn’t only have to be a warm weather event! Here are some fun things to do outdoors this winter.
26. Stay in a Yurt at Dead Horse Point State Park.
27. There are cabins available at Steinaker State Park.
28. Think you’re ready for winter camping? Try it at Bear Lake State Park.
29. The Willard Bay State Park Interpretive Trail is a fun little winter hike.
30. Check out the Sand Dunes Trail for a winter hike at Snow Canyon State Park.
Free Things To Do
Looking for something to do this weekend? Check out this list of 24 FREE things to do in SLC!
Having fun doesn’t always have to cost money. Here are some fun, FREE things to do around Salt Lake City and beyond this winter:
31. Visit Phillips Gallery to see art from local artists.
32. Check out the free exhibits at Clark Planetarium, including a pendulum, telescopes, and facts about the solar system.
33. The Winter Market at Rio Grande runs through the cold season, and features plenty of produce and products that support our local economy.
34. Go sledding! There are plenty of fun sledding hills around town.